One of my favorite ground covers, vinca minor (aka Periwinkle) –
Both these images were shot using the OM 90mm macro lens and the T10 ring flash. This time I actually mounted the flash where it belongs – on the end of the lens. Through trial and error I established a baseline that works pretty well – flash at 1/2 power, f8 and a working distance of about 10 inches. Using a 125 – 200/sec shutter speed means I can hand hold this rig. Its size and weight work to advantage and help to steady my hands. Overall it works pretty well.
I did run into a difficulty though. It seems a failing of digital camera sensors is their inability to capture and render natural purple or violet. All the RAW files show these flowers as a pale blue. Totally off base. I had to play with the color hue sliders in Lightroom to get them back to their purple selves. I also noticed some chromatic aberration when a petal fell across a dark green leaf. Not on every shot, but on many. I don’t get CA with this lens in any other circumstance. It must be something with the sensor’s interaction with the lens that gets confused somehow. I couldn’t correct for all of it, so I had to ditch some otherwise decent shots. Ah well, at least I got these.
Here’s one from the woods that took me many tries to get right. It’s a fern frond unfurling (say that 10 times fast). This is just after fiddlehead state and before it is a recognizable fern. After a lot of maneuvering and waiting for the breeze to die down (even the slightest breeze looks like a monsoon at this magnification) I finally got what I wanted –
Very nice. I especially like the Mirror Mirror shot. Great detail!