Falling Water

Someday I will get to the famous Frank Lloyd Wright house, but until then this kind of falling water will have to do.  I revisited Cold Brook in Mont Vernon which has falls locally called Senter.  Strangely there hasn’t been much seasonal change from the time I shot it in mid-December.  Other than the absence of snow and ice and some new green growth there isn’t much difference.   But the light was good – strong overcast and I had leisure to explore.  Until the rain came in earnest that is.  I got back to my car just in time.

For this first one I had to go behind some safety ropes set up in winter to keep people off the icy boulders.  I figured it was safe now.  Love the view and the color of the rocks and how the brook just drops and curves away.  I really need to get a neutral density filter for this lens, but for now I only use a polarizer; 5 second exposure.

At the top, before the main falls

I was on the lookout for some greenery I could use in an image.  There wasn’t a whole lot of it, but I found some at the main falls.  They waved in the breeze while I took a second 5 second exposure.  I really like the solidity of the tree and the rock and the fluidity of the water.  It’s like a dance.

main cascade at Senter falls

While I was standing up there with the water rushing past me, I couldn’t resist getting a detail shot.  I panned around a bit trying things on before deciding on this one.  I’m still not sure how I feel about that stick, but there was no way to go get it.

water falling like veils over rocks at Senter Falls

Further down the brook widens out.  Back in December I tried for a shot like this one, but it didn’t work out.  I was in almost the exact spot, but not far enough into the brook itself.  The stream bed slopes up slightly here, enough for a dramatic view of the whole thing.  I really like this one and didn’t even get that wet.

The River Relaxes

While scanning the bank for a good location, I found a leaf from last year.  Even though the rocks have some rich color in them, the leaf itself was depleted and pale, so I decided on a sepia treatment and a bit of a crop and rotation.  The water was flowing by and adds silky contrast.

Recycle

As I worked my way downstream and back to my car, I found a little tributary coming into the main brook.  It was pretty bare and strewn with debris from a recent flood, but I found this little arrangement.  I like the color contrasts.

new ferns on the banks of a tributary to Cold Brook

And I have a fascination with ferns.  I always have and only now have begun to photograph them seriously.  Here’s another species in another location –

Fanfare

I was captivated by the arrangement and even though I had to crouch in the muck, handhold this shot while the breeze refused to cooperate, I’m glad I stuck with it.  Of about 10 shots, this is the only one that was worth a damn.

Advertisements

1. Wow!!

I love the way the water looks like smoke!!

Nice!!

~Ramona Kent~
    Author of Anomar’s Journey

April 29, 2010 at 5:24 pm

2. susanswords

Your photographs took my breath away. You have a stunning talent!

April 29, 2010 at 5:26 pm

3. Wicked photos, HDR would be nice.

Remain.Simple

April 29, 2010 at 5:46 pm

4. Gorgeous photos – inspiring! Can’t wait to get back in the woods with my camera. You MUST plan a visit to Fallingwater – it is amazing and you will get some fantastic photos there. Plan your trip in the spring when the rhododendrons are in bloom – there are hundreds of them there. North Coast Muse @ http://sally1029.wordpress.com

April 29, 2010 at 5:47 pm

5. Photography leads all other fields in the benefits of technology. Aren’t you lucky?

Aren’t we lucky that you do the work so we can enjoy the results?

Thanks so much.

April 29, 2010 at 5:54 pm

6. That’s great pics… the coolness feels up here… 🙂

April 29, 2010 at 6:20 pm

7. Andrea

What beautiful scenery! This looks like an area I go walking during the summer months. Thank you so much for sharing!

April 29, 2010 at 6:38 pm

8. A good tripod, patience, love for nature and an appropriate exposure time and, yes, how are you get wonderful images where the water has a milky appearance.
    Great job!

April 29, 2010 at 7:04 pm

9. Buenos Tardes,

Your photos are so refreshing! I am in love with the little leaves emerging from the curls!

Thank you so much for sharing with all of us.

Con regard,

Athena

April 29, 2010 at 7:52 pm

10. You have some awesome pictures there. I really like your water pics. It looks as if the water is mist or dry ice moving over the rock. Very good job. I was very much into photography in high school but got away from it. Always wanted to get back in to it.

April 29, 2010 at 7:54 pm

11. lan

yeah ,a great picture and scene.I love and enjoying your photo.I like the river stream,fauna,green tress etc. Thanks for your efforts.

April 29, 2010 at 9:29 pm

12. What beautiful photos, Thanks for sharing 😉

April 29, 2010 at 9:51 pm

13. Kathy Larson

Stunningly beautiful.
    I’ve just started into photography myself — hope I can someday come somewhere near your talent.
    thanks for a wonderful post

April 29, 2010 at 10:18 pm

14. Lovely lovely. these shots are great!!
    Interesting browns on the rocks
    and congrads for the front page of wordpress!!
    I hope you do get to Fallingwater someday… A very enchanting and mysterious place…the valley & the grounds are more beautiful than the architecture.
    I had the good fortune of being there quite a bit for a time in my life… Cheers Bev

April 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm

15. Simply Beautify My Pal

April 29, 2010 at 11:02 pm

16. Oooh, my favorite is the sepia-toned leaf and pebbles. I struggle with sepia toned/ black and white photography- I love color, and I can never focus on lighting enough to get it right. But you do it perfectly!

April 29, 2010 at 11:19 pm

17. I like the way that you captured the water–very well done.

April 29, 2010 at 11:24 pm

18. Rie

The smoky water. So wonderful!

April 29, 2010 at 11:40 pm

19. Lovely pics.

Thanks for sharing. Gives me reason to take my camera and explore today.

April 29, 2010 at 11:41 pm

20. lovely pictures, great composition…
    i’ve been wanting to get the same effect with my photos but quite hard using a point-and-shoot digital camera. 😀

April 30, 2010 at 12:39 am

21. Songbird

Love the smokey water effect

April 30, 2010 at 1:56 am

22. Beautiful! Love the water fall pictures. They have a misty, eerie feel that is stunning.

April 30, 2010 at 2:56 am

23. Fantastic photos of the water falling and rushing in the creek. Also, I really like your fern photos. There’s something amazing how they grow curled up and then unfurl into such interesting stem and leaves. Your capture of the new growth curled up ferns is great. Keep up the great work! (And I’ll echo another commenter: do check out Wright’s Fallingwater if you get a chance. His buildings made me think of houses in a whole different way, that they can be so much more than plain boxes.)

April 30, 2010 at 4:37 am

24. mooney=mc2

Really lovely shots. I think that last shot, fanfare, is my favorite!

April 30, 2010 at 5:16 am

25. Joy

These are absolutely gorgeous! The colors are beautiful.

April 30, 2010 at 7:30 am

26. Stunning photographs! you do have a great talent!

April 30, 2010 at 8:21 am

27. Spectacular!

April 30, 2010 at 8:31 am

28. Wonderful series. Fanfare is stunning!

April 30, 2010 at 10:06 am

29. richard joseph

STUNNING PHOTOGRAPHS! I LOVE THE WAY THE WATER LOOKS LIKE SMOKE

April 30, 2010 at 10:27 am

30. Great shots!! One of my favorite subjects. Keep up the great work.

April 30, 2010 at 10:31 am

31. Love that fern shot. Did you use a macro lens? FLW’s Falling Water has the same coloring as Cold Brook. Close enough for me.

April 30, 2010 at 12:47 pm

32. very beautiful. was the water actually creating that mist-like covering or was that edited afterwards?

either way, very nice photos.

April 30, 2010 at 1:02 pm

33. WHaT A PHOTOSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LIKE IT VERY MUCHHHH

May 1, 2010 at 9:47 pm

34. Wonderful photography, I love all the photos. I’m a fan of nature photography.

May 2, 2010 at 10:27 am

35. A good tripod, patience, love for nature and an appropriate exposure time and, yes, how are you get wonderful images where the water has a milky appearance.
    Great job! Thanks

May 3, 2010 at 3:11 am

36. Thanks to everyone for your comments and compliments. I was so stunned to find myself on Freshly Pressed, and flattered of course.

I’m glad I’ve inspired some of you to head out with your cameras to find the beauty of nature. Thanks so much for reading and I hope you continue to stop by.

Oh and yes, for a lot of the macro work I do actually use a macro lens – a 1980s vintage Olympus 90mm f2 which mounts on my E-30 via an adapter.

and no, the smoky nature of the water is entirely in camera – it’s a multi-second exposure that causes that effect. No trickery, I promise.

May 6, 2010 at 6:24 am

37. Bill Mitten

By the way, I work closely with your other half and have done so for many years. He steered me toward your work on the web.

The River Relaxes is especially intriguing to me. A perfect title.

Nice work. “Nice” is a word that is often used recklessly. In this case it is appropriate.

The Massabescic Audubon Center displays nature phtographs by singular photographers and in contests on a regular basis.

You might want to inquire.

Keep up the fabulous work!

May 10, 2010 at 8:27 pm

38. I found your site from the WordPress.com page which has several sites that are strong enough to make the page. Your site is wonderful and beautiful.
    Thanks.