The Perfect Light for Snow Photography

Today had it!

Conversation with Purgatory Brook

I love this light.  Clouds obscuring the sun, but not completely.  Just enough coming through to bring up texture and slight shadows.  I love this brook.  I go to shoot the falls, but so far no success.  The brook however, I manage to get.  Shot with the E-30, ZD 12-60mm and the tripod sunk in snow.  It was so quiet that almost all you could hear was ice pellets and tiny hemlock cones falling on the crusty snow and rolling downhill.  That and the brook, still alive and flowing under its icy shell.

Advertisements

1. Great shot! Love the tones, and I agree the light was great. The composition is very well done too, with the inclusion of the tree on the left it gives the viewer real feet into the scene. Great job.
    Anna

February 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm

2. most beautiful! makes my toes cold just looking at it … i love the tones and the very real feel. like im there …
    k☼

February 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm

3. Breathtaking. I can smell the air. What a beautiful shot. Thank you.

February 13, 2011 at 4:21 pm

4. Wonderful capture, Wicked D! Nicely composed and processed.

February 13, 2011 at 5:42 pm

5. makes me want to be a photographer!!! so far, all i can do is photoshop my jewelry to look better online… i’d love to go out and collect shots like this. you should frame your work and display it! do you ever sell it? excellent job… i’m going to recommend your blog to friends. Genevieve

February 14, 2011 at 11:22 am

6. This looks amazing. I love the peace that the picture gives me.

February 14, 2011 at 3:31 pm